7mm Dan's S7 Workbench - Hawksworth Full Brake

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Happy Birthday for yesterday Dan :thumbs:. The Hawksworth Brake looks the business :bowdown:. Looking forward to the progress reports :thumbs:

Rob :wave:

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
lancer1027 said:
Happy Birthday for yesterday Dan :thumbs:. The Hawksworth Brake looks the business :bowdown:. Looking forward to the progress reports :thumbs:

Rob :wave:

Thanks Rob - you'll be pleased to know, I'll be doing it in BR blue.  :thumbs:

Regards

Dan

C

coachmann

The detail on your 7mm Hawksworth coach is pretty fantastic so I have read through this thread with a 4mm scale Hornby Hawksworth coach in my hand. As a result, I now have a greater appreciation of the Hornby model. I must say those 7mm pressed steel bogies are the bees knees. Watching this thread with great interest. :thumbs:

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
coachmann said:
The detail on your 7mm Hawksworth coach is pretty fantastic so I have read through this thread with a 4mm scale Hornby Hawksworth coach in my hand. As a result, I now have a greater appreciation of the Hornby model. I must say those 7mm pressed steel bogies are the bees knees. Watching this thread with great interest. :thumbs:

Rob Pulham said:
Many Happy returns for yesterday Dan. The coach is looking the business!! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Pugsley said:
Happy birthday Dan - the big 5-0!  It sounds like a very pleasant way to spend a birthday :thumbs:

Thanks chaps and I'll try not to leave it so long until the next update.  :)

Regards

Dan

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
rosspeacock said:
Happy "belated" Birthday Dan, the Hawksworh Brake looks fantastic :drool: :drool: Excellent work  :thumbs: Ross..

Cheers Ross.  :thumbs:

iploffy said:
Dan do you have the withdrawal date for the Brake van as it appeared in BR blue

Ian

Hi Ian - I can't help you as such, but Paul Bartlett's excellent site has a few pictures here:

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c812565.html

Two pictures were taken in 1985 and one in 1979, although at least one of the 1985 pictures shows a condemned vehicle and all three are shorn of their gangways.

Regards

Dan

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Thanks Dan I was on the same website for the 42ft GUV still alot of room for thought as I intend to have a rag tag mixed bag of Parcels stock.

Ian

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Hi Chaps

I trust everyone had a good Christmas and received lots of interesting stuff from Santa?

My wife and I decided not to go too mad this year, as with a baby due in about 4 weeks time, pushchairs, car seats and nursery furniture need to take priority!  Having said that, I did get a couple of good books ? The Heyday of the Hydraulics, by Hugh Dady and In the Tracks of the ?ACE?, by Jeffery Grayer and I can thoroughly recommend both titles!

This morning, I woke up and assumed I?d be getting stuck in to some more decorating, but my wife said ?You can?t do DIY on Boxing Day - do some modelling instead?.  I didn?t have to be asked twice, so I thought I?d take another look at the Hawksworth and see what could be done.

For starters, I decided to get the ?B? end up to the same stage as the previously done ?A? end?.

Attachments

• SNV33579.JPG
    511.4 KB · Views: 15
  • SNV33581.JPG
    454.2 KB · Views: 13
  • SNV33583.JPG
    538 KB · Views: 16
  • SNV33584.JPG
    496.1 KB · Views: 18
  • SNV33577.JPG
    516.9 KB · Views: 36

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Enjoying the update Dan.  :thumbs: :thumbs:

The roof looks almost Gresley like in shape, I wonder if they could be adopted? (starts thinking too hard!!)

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
28th November 2012

Hi chaps

Since becoming a daddy in January 2011, modelling (and modelling time), has been pretty much non-existent. (Ross seems to have gone very quiet lately too!). It’s easier to perform nappy changes on the kitchen table (my workbench), than lug children upstairs. Also, having assorted glues and sharp implements in the “nappy zone”, is not a good idea!

However, I recently managed to clear a small space in the lean-to (since cluttered up again with stuff due to DIY projects!) and actually managed a full day’s modelling on my birthday. I forgot to post the pictures at the time, hence the difference between the title date and today’s date!

Anyway, I had decided to do some more to the Hawksworth Full Brake and though there’s not a massive amount of progress, it’s better than none at all. :)

The job I decided to tackle was the combined hinge/droplight assemblies. As supplied with the kit, the etches will only represent droplights in the closed position. Whilst this is OK for some windows, I wanted some to be in various states of “openness”, so I drew up some artwork based on the originals and had them etched. I forgot to take a picture of the main etched fret, but some of the individual droplights can be seen in the background of this shot, whilst others have already been fitted….

SNV34643.JPG

A comparison between the finished and unfinished sides….

SNV34645.JPG

SNV34646.JPG

SNV34647.JPG

The view from inside will please Jordan…. :))

SNV34648.JPG

Not a pretty sight, but I’ve already started drawing up some rudimentary planked interiors in TurboCAD and will ask Cynric to laser them for me in Rowmark.

Some months ago, I found an hour or so to mark out and drill the roof for ventilators. It didn’t seem worth posting at the time, but here are some pictures….

SNV34430.JPG

SNV34431.JPG

SNV34432.JPG

I also did some work to the underframe trusses at some point, but seem to have forgotten to take any pictures of them! When I get a chance, I’ll try and address that oversight, but don’t hold your breath! ;)

That’s all for now.

Regards

Dan

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
BTW - the coach is a BG, so what is the meaning of "compartment side" which is written on one side?

The instructions refer to a "corridor side" and a "compartment side". Inside the coach, there's a guard's compartment, with a short corridor between it and the coach side. I scribbled on the sides, to avoid any errors in assembly.

Regards

Dan

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
9th AUGUST 2014

I’m back! :thumbs:

Since the birth of our first daughter Verity in January 2011, I think I’ve managed to do just one day of modelling. This has been due to a heavy DIY workload plus the loss of my workbench (the kitchen table). Things didn’t improve after the arrival of Margot nineteen months later….! :rolleyes:

Fast forward to April 2014 and a house move. With a couple of minor painting/decorating jobs out of the way, I’ve managed to set up a modelling area in the 4th bedroom (the old house only had 2 bedrooms!). At the moment, I have to share the room with a few unpacked boxes and a wardrobe (that will be moving to its “proper” room soon), so it’s a bit cosy, especially during this heat wave, but the fact remains, I’ve been able, at last, to do some actual modelling!

It took a while to locate all the tools, solders, glues and suchlike, but perhaps, most annoyingly, it took me a while to find my mojo! Having found it again though, I decided to see what needed doing to progress the Hawksworth full brake. On its previous workbench visit, I’d managed to solder the etched droplights behind the doors along one side. Coming back to it after such a long time, I decided I wasn’t happy with what I’d done.

There was nothing wrong with the droplights as such, but I wanted to try and represent the depth of the sides as viewed through a window or open droplight and the droplights really needed to be further back than they were. I’m hoping to finalise some artwork in the near future and get some inner sides laser cut in Rowmark – more on this as/when it happens.

Anyway, I decided to remove all the etched droplights and clean off all the unwanted solder on the inside face of the sides - It was not a pleasant job! Having done this, I decided it was time to start assembling the basic bodyshell. Here’s what it looks like having soldered one of the ends to the sides….

SNV34901.JPG

The slots & tabs keep the parts in alignment whilst soldering and work well, but must now be removed….

SNV34903.JPG

(Well spotted if you noticed it was the other end!).

Then it’s time for the half-etched detail overlays….

SNV34904.JPG

SNV34905.JPG

SNV34906.JPG

I couldn’t resist fitting the roof and chassis temporarily at this point….

SNV34908.JPG

The instructions recommend attaching the resin roof with, I believe, “No More Nails”, but I favoured a more solid approach using some spacers soldered between the tops of the sides and some nuts, bolts and Araldite. I was originally going to use 3 nuts, bolts and spacers, so with this in mind, I had applied some blobs of Milliput to the underside of the roof….

SNV34910.JPG

SNV34912.JPG

The blobs were sanded flush with the lower edges of the roof and holes were drilled to accept the bolts. Having returned to this project recently, I decided that 5 nuts/bolts/spacers would be better and the approximate positions can be seen marked in red on the previous photo (with apologies for the poor focus)....

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
After more Milliput, sanding and drilling, this is the result….

SNV34914.JPG

The middle 3 spacers are made from some nickel silver strip I had knocking around, whilst the ones at each end, are actually etched jigs used to hold the ends to shape, whilst attaching them to the sides. The instructions say not to solder these to anything, but as they were the right shape, once their alignment role was over, I cut the tabs off them and moved them further up the ends to use as spacers!….

SNV34916.JPG

SNV34918.JPG

With the roof temporarily bolted on, the coach feels surprisingly rigid and any gaps that existed between the roof and sides are eliminated….

SNV34919.JPG

SNV34920.JPG

Although the roof incorporates moulded-in details in the form of raised sections and screw/rivet detail, I’m a bit concerned about the way it wavers along its length and overhangs the sides….

SNV34921.JPG
It’s difficult to tell from photographs of the prototype, but I imagine it should be flush with the sides, so once the roof is bolted and Araldited on for good, I intend attacking it with a sanding block to remove the overhangs and raised details. These will then be reinstated using (probably), thin styrene and Archers 3D printed “rivets”.

That’s all for now – hopefully, there will be more updates soon!

Regards

Dan