Liver & Fry's workbench

HR Cattle Wagon New

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
But, knowing how these things go, I'll probably find something else to do!

And thus it'll be no surprise to anyone that I found something else to do...

20240501_203532.jpg

Recently acquired from a well known auction site is this Model Wagon Co. Highland Railway cattle wagon. This is a Drummond design introduced in 1899. The kit looks fairly straight forward but I'm going to take my time on this one, doing this amongst other (non-modelling) jobs.

- James

HR Cattle Wagon New

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
I've been dabbling at the cattle wagon last night and today, getting the body together using Araldite and then working on a floor section... Plank by plank... I'll probably never see it once the roof is on but I'll know it's there!

20240503_183756.jpg20240503_211915.jpg20240504_140459.jpg20240504_142221.jpg

These photos are of the test run to make sure I had enough strips, but you get the idea...

I'll likely continue Monday as it's meant to rain all day in true bank holiday fashion!

- James

HR Cattle Wagon New

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
Update one of two to come today (you lucky people!)

I've cracked out the soldering iron again and had another (unguided) go at w-irons and I hope you'll agree with me that it's gone OK:

20240506_175752.jpg

I have done some more detailing work since I took this photo, but as this is ongoing, I'll post a full update later...

- James

HR Cattle Wagon New

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
Late in the day but as promised, here is the fruit of todays labour:

20240506_224534.jpg

Essentially all that's left is to paint and fit the roof!

Aside from the w-irons, todays work included:

20240506_184528.jpg

Adding batons to the floor - losing a lot of the plank effect but ultimately being more prototypical to the wagon.

20240506_184416.jpg

Adding wire to the lower windows (Do we call then windows on cattle wagons? Seems the most appropriate term...)

20240506_224631.jpg

Drummond style buffers and drawhooks

20240506_224803.jpg

And finally springs, axleboxes and brake gear. I removed the original moulded springs as they were warped and somewhat less detailed than the ones I picked up at the York show.

I have an evening lecture tomorrow so no work on this for a day or so now but I'm really pleased of how this has come together!

- James

HR Cattle Wagon New

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
Now, if I said "Pat" and "red van" you'd probably think I was getting nostalgic for children's TV shows about postmen, however, those words perfectly sum up this evening, for the paint came out for the cattle van!

Yesterday I did the base colour for the wood and painted the ironwork below the solebars black. Today I finished the wood effect on the interior (see below) before essentially covering it up again with progressively lighter/whiter layers of grey to give a lime wash effect inside the van.

20240509_202123.jpg

Did I need to paint a full wood effect first? No. But I like to build things up as they would be in the real world. Even in 4mm it adds depth if some of the undertones show through; this is the same as me asking did I need to make a fully planked floor, or add the batons when this will mostly be hidden once the roof is on? Also no, but it's nice to know it's all there.

So, leading on from that, did I need to model cow pat? Also no, but I did it anyway! Tiny balls of liquid lead, glued in place and painted brown. Works a treat!

20240509_215508.jpg
20240509_215943.jpg

And, as you can tell, one side got a coat of red oxide as well...

20240509_215418.jpg

Once the wagon has been fully painted and lettered, the outside will get some lime wash staining as well.

- James

HR Cattle Wagon New

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
Not much progress to report as I made the most of the weekend sun, but I have now painted the body in its main coat of red:

20240512_224735.jpg

Detailing such as black ironwork and buffers will follow, then I will varnish, letter and weather*

It's getting there...

- James

*Weathering insofar as external staining of lime wash, which even with my current "not weathering" mentality is something that can't be ignored with such a wagon...

(I can and have weathered stock before and I will get back to doing so one day but whilst these are confined to being display pieces for lack of a layout, I prefer to look at them in display condition)

HR Cattle Wagon New

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
It has been a productive evening! Lettering and a roof have found their way onto the cattle wagon...

20240516_212020.jpg

These features alone seem to have completely transformed how the wagon looks, I think for the better!

And how appropriate it seems that it's (almost) complete just two days before I take a solo jaunt up to Inverness for a wee tour of the Highland lines (a little treat to myself as I see out my twenties next week...)

(I promise my goal is still to model the Lynn and Fakenham!)

- James