Ian Rathbone's Workshop

Johnm123

Thank you all for your compliments.

First off this time is a 7mm Claughton, bought secondhand by my customer, stripped and refurbished by Lee Marsh. No chassis I’m afraid.

View attachment 153866

Next, a simple job, a 1361 built by Mike Edge from his own etches, the first of a pair.

View attachment 153867

I’ve had a few jobs which came to me in bits, and left that way so I couldn’t photograph them. One was this King Arthur built by Phil Gomm and photographed by him.

View attachment 153868

Another was this as-built Evening Star built by Bill Davis.

View attachment 153869
I now own the Evening star model above, had some clearance issues with the rods thumping brake shoes though is rectified and runs fine now.

The plates and garter crests (from Derek Mundy) for the Taff Vale 0-6-2T finally arrived so here it is posed on ‘Bucks Hill’.

View attachment 153870

Ian R

Attachments

• IMG_2810.jpeg
    IMG_2810.jpeg
    317.8 KB · Views: 59

Ian Rathbone

Western Thunderer
My next project has been a bit of a one off for me. The construction of a Cambrian Mutton Van from a mix of two kits and a degree of scratch building. My customer originally bought a Worsley Works kit which, after being with two ‘kit builders’, was effectively a piece of scrap. I suggested he bought another kit and I would start it again.

I bought a Gladiator 30’ LNWR underframe kit and built that (lengthening it to 31’ to suit the body) with bits from the scrap box to make some generic brake gear and brass angle for the foot boards.

The new superstructure kit arrived recently so, paint pots to one side, I got on with it. There were numerous errors - twenty of the hinge positions were incorrect so I had to cut twenty slots in the correct position, the etched door handle holes were in the wrong place, the floor featured fold up edges to attach to the sides but these clashed with the lower hinge positions so had to come off. The floor itself was slightly too narrow to attach to the sides so I used the ends from the old kit to make internal partitions to fit the floor and strengthen the sides. The roof was far too thin for a Cambrian van, a feature of which are the thick roofs, so after putting the roof through the rollers I added an additional two layers of scrap etch around the edges. I made the hinges from spare boiler band strips, folded double to give a rounded end and a hint of a gap between the two parts.

I’ve built it with a removable roof and underframe for ease of painting and any future maintenance. On with the painting now!IMG_7552.jpeg

Ian R

Last edited:

Ian Rathbone

Western Thunderer
Painting the Mutton Van continues. At the same time I’ve done a repaint job on this Hawksworth County. Originally in BR livery with a double chimney and messed up cab sides where number plates had been removed. I replaced the chimney, stripped the smoke box, cab sides and cylinders and rubbed down the boiler, fire box and tender. Bare parts were etch primed then all painted in GW 1946 livery - no lining on black or red parts and only the cab angle lined on the cab front. The cab interior had been painted cream (!), so as the backhead was not removable I had to brush paint the interior.

IMG_7555.jpeg

Ian R

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
The ‘Right Track 3’ video ‘Painting and Lining’ is now officially available on YouTube.

The link to it is:

https://www.youtube.com/@chriswalsh9962/playlists

Chris Walsh was the original creator of the video series.

Ian R
Ian,

Many thanks for posting this link. I have just viewed the whole thing from end to end and not only is it very helpful but it is also awesome watching you lining the locos and carriages. Truly a master at work!

Nigel

Ian Rathbone

Western Thunderer
Further progress - I commissioned the roof board and waist panel lettering from Precision Labels; I made the roof boards from bits of scrap etch and painted them Cambrian White ie white with a drop of green in it. The roof itself is a not-quite-white with the edges painted green. The iron work attached to the solebars is lined on the edges and the footboards are a dirty pine colour. The door handles are soldered to copper clad (4mm sleeper strip) glued behind the doors.

I am waiting for further transfers for its CR identity, a few tweaks to the lining and varnish to finish. Don’t worry about the gap between body and underframe, it’s not screwed together yet.

IMG_7574.jpeg

Ian R