Ian Rathbone's Workshop

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Ian.

Just beware of the handing of the live steam injector. Various Stanier classes had the overflow connection facing forward or rearward for some strange reason. On Black 5s, I believe they all faced forwards.
Dave.

Ian Rathbone

Western Thunderer
Injectors now done - all fitted to the chassis and independent of the superstructure. Brakes and sandpipes fitted. I just have to fit the steam pipes to the sanders and fit the brake cylinder & connections.

IMG_7506.jpeg

IMG_7505.jpeg
IMG_7510.jpeg

I just need to fit the cylinders back on to test it around corners then it’s painting time. It’s going to be 44762 (which as M4762 started its life in Southern Malachite Green) after its overhaul in 1959.

Ian R

Ian Rathbone

Western Thunderer
At the moment I’m using an etching primer system from Kapci Coatings, bought from my local car paint supplier. The base coat just happens to be yellow, so no particular reason.

Ian R

Ian Rathbone

Western Thunderer
The Black 5 moves nearer completion. After studying the drawings, yet again, I rerouted the rear sand pipes and added the steam pipes. The steam pipes actually run behind the other sand pipes (at least as built) so I didn’t fit them. I completely stripped the chassis, primed and painted it black then added a weathering coat of my usual black & brown mix. Various details were given a rust mix before reassembly. As photographed the body is still ex-works so a bit bright.

IMG_7522.jpeg

The kit’s backhead is incorrect for a Black 5 so the cab interior is bare apart from paint. Still thinking about what to do about it, maybe the 0 Gauge Guild Spring Show at Kettering will provide the correct bits.

Ian R

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Ian,

it would have been a brave modeller to finish this loco in Malachite! Yet to see one.

A great model none the less.

regards

Mike

Richard Spoors

Western Thunderer
Injectors now done - all fitted to the chassis and independent of the superstructure. Brakes and sandpipes fitted. I just have to fit the steam pipes to the sanders and fit the brake cylinder & connections.

View attachment 207098

View attachment 207099
View attachment 207100

I just need to fit the cylinders back on to test it around corners then it’s painting time. It’s going to be 44762 (which as M4762 started its life in Southern Malachite Green) after its overhaul in 1959.

Ian R
Ian, are all pickups in the tender, or just supplementary? Lovely detailing!
Richard

Ian Rathbone

Western Thunderer
Richard, the leading and middle wheels of the loco have plunger pick-ups and the trailing have wipers. The tender picks up via wipers on leading and trailing. All the pick-ups are mounted on copper clad pads which are connected by rigid wire busbars to each other and the plug socket for the motor.

Ian

Kevin MH

Western Thunderer
Ian,

I'm steeling myself to finally paint something: my 7mm rake of LNWR 30'1" six wheelers, running circa 1900. The railway kept them pretty clean, except of course the roofs and under gear. I don't want to paint the frames and footplates stark black, but I don't want to "weather" them either, I want to paint them in one go. Dark grey? Or a tinge of brown?

Ian Rathbone

Western Thunderer
I tend to use a matt black and brick red mix, with additional matt leather for the rustier bits.

44762 completed some circuits of Buck’s Hill today (thank you Kevin) pulling seven heavy coaches. As a first run I was pleased with that, just a couple of minor issues and some more weight to add. Now back to some more painting.

Ian R

Ian Rathbone

Western Thunderer
The first photo of Tom Mallard’s two L&B locos. I only have the bodies, frames and cab roofs. Tom had stripped the etching primer from the bodies but provided black painted frames and roofs.

I cleaned the bodies with cellulose thinners to remove any residue from handling and then applied my etching primer, which was remarkably like Tom’s. A day later I sprayed the Southern Green cellulose that Tom provided and then, two days after that, I masked up and sprayed the black. The cab interiors took the equivalent of a day to paint - three coats of light stone above the waist and two of black below. Brushing was the only way in the confined space with all its nooks and crannies, the amount of detail within the cabs is incredible. The undersides of the roofs were sprayed.

I started the lining on the most difficult but least vulnerable parts ie, the cab front and the tank fronts. Due to the roof support I could only do the lower half of the spectacle lining with compasses, the rest is brushwork with a W&N 000 brush. There is a lot of lining on these engines and it all has to sequenced to minimise time and avoid touching wet paint. Because of the flat sides I had to wait two days before turning over for the other side.

IMG_7528.jpeg

IMG_7530.jpeg

For the frames it was a matter of masking and spraying the tan ‘twixt fire box and smoke box’. As for the buffer beams…

Finally a mist coat of lacquer gave these amazing models a unified satin finish.

Ian R