Mike Doherty - Cavalier Coaches

djparkins

Western Thunderer
As has been mentioned in the latest edition of Model Railway Journal [303], Mike Doherty has sadly passed away. My sympathies to his wife and family.

We met in the 1980s in the course of buisiness, and he always appeared as if straight from the set of an Ealing Studios film - gentlemanly and seemingly belonging in a very slightly earlier age! But with a sharp humour.

He was a superb coach and locomotive builder and the latest MRJ cover features a Rebuilt Merchant Navy he built that proves it.

I feel honoured to now be the owner of the Cavalier Coaches range and we will do our very best over the time ahead to re-introduce and develop further most of the products that he created.

Some aspects will be brought into line with more current thinking on kit construction - which in this old dinosaur’s head has still not been entirely eclipsed by the ongoing march of plastic RTR coaches!

In all events the detail and accuracy of Mike’s original masters will be faithfully preserved.

David Parkins
www.davidjparkins.com

Last edited:
As has been mentioned in the latest edition of Model Railway Journal [303], Mike Doherty has sadly passed away. My sympathies to his wife and family.

We met in the 1980s in the course of buisiness, and he always appeared as if straight from the set of an Ealing Studios film - gentlemanly and seemingly belonging in a very slightly earlier age! But with a sharp humour.

He was a superb coach and locomotive builder and the latest MRJ cover features a Rebuilt Merchant Navy he built that proves it.

I feel honoured to now be the owner of the Cavalier Coaches range and we will do our very best over the time ahead to re-introduce and develop further most of the products that he created.

Some aspects will be brought into line with more current thinking on kit construction - which in this old dinosaur’s head has still not been entirely eclipsed by the ongoing march of plastic RTR coaches!

In all events the detail and accuracy of Mike’s original masters will be faithfully preserved.

David Parkins
www.davidjparkins.com

David Parkins
www.davidjparkins.com
I can add some details on Mike's various interests and fulsome life as I'm a member of the Devon Crash Box and Classic Car Club (I own a 1967 MGB). I was reading a recent issue of the magazine and by chance found an obituary notice for Mike so I am transcribing parts of it:

Mike was born in Rhiwbina, Cardiff in 1939 but his formative years were spent in Bromley, Kent. His first job was as an apprentice engineer at Kings Cross and he then qualified as a Civil Engineer. He met is wife, Muriel, in Bude while on holiday and they settled in Exeter where he worked for Devon County Council in the roads department. Two daughters, Debbie and Jeanette arrived during this time.

Having then become a Chartered Engineer his next venture was to run a successful earth moving business and during a downturn in the road building programme he turned to his model railway hobby and Cavalier Coaches was born. He then became an established trader selling quality kits.

He was then head hunted by Balfour Beatty to work as a Senior Commercial Manager and this involved work on the second Severn cross, and the roads for the Eurotunnel at Folkestone.

While all this was going on and into retirement he spent twenty-three years as a member of the Crash Box Club which involved various honorary roles including Rally Chairman and Treasurer. Muriel, Debbie and Jeanette with their respective families survive Mike.