Elmham Market in EM

simond

Western Thunderer
James, I suspect I suggested Rizla or competing brands of cigarette papers.

Tissue paper will work of course - and adds texture to rolling stock roofs.

Atb
Simon

AJC

Western Thunderer
I’ve been a bit quiet recently mainly because it has been taking me some time to complete the tiling but both sides of the building are now complete and I have also managed to glaze all of the windows. My next job is to glue and paint some interior partitions and floors just to stop the eye looking straight through the houses, then plant them on Elmham Market.

Whilst waiting for the glue to set on each side I have attempted to solve one of those irritating occasional problems on my D&S bogie coaches. They seem to create shorts on some curves and I think it is the wheels sometimes touching and scraping a bit of paint off the underside of the underframe. Reading another thread on this forum I saw, I think, @simond recommending the use of tissue paper to prevent shorts in another environment. I have tried that here by slipping cut pieces of tissue paper between the wheels and underframes and supergluing them in place. I need to get up to the railway to test whether it has cured the problem.

Anyway, a couple of photos of the current state of the council houses attached.

Nigel

View attachment 212518View attachment 212519

Neatly done, but I can't help but think those tiles are massively overscale - comfortably a foot or more across. The images in you initial post also seems to show an awful lot more courses...

Adam

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer
Neatly done, but I can't help but think those tiles are massively overscale - comfortably a foot or more across. The images in you initial post also seems to show an awful lot more courses...

Adam
York "4mm" slates/tiles are 4mm across, which of course is a foot(!) - something to consider are their TT:120 versions at 3mm across (9" in 4mm). I chose some in "S" scale for my 7mm signalbox as I thought the 7mm ones overpowering. I would buy a pack in TT:120, initially just to compare. I'd certainly use finer ridge tiles on the bay(?). A very fine build, worth the extra effort, I think.

Reactions: AJC

simond

Western Thunderer
I’ve got a copy of a document that gives the historic slate sizes somewhere, I’ll try to find it, and add it to the resources section, meanwhile modern metric sizes here.

AJC

Western Thunderer
I’ve got a copy of a document that gives the historic slate sizes somewhere, I’ll try to find it, and add it to the resources section, meanwhile modern metric sizes here.

I've never seen (though I'm sure it exists and I've simply been looking in the wrong places), something similar for clay tiles of various kinds - anyone got some dimensions for historic double Romans? Asking for a friend me.

Adam

James Spooner

Western Thunderer

Adam
Adam,

The tiles are from York Modelmaking and are 4mm wide, or a foot in real life. Yes, they are different from the photo, but I am developing Elmham Market as a fictional location, not a slavish copy of Lavenham (and if I was building a slavish copy, I wouldn’t be building the council houses anyway as the real things are a couple of hundred hundred yards down the road away from the station and would be off the baseboard!). Roofing tiles can be anything from just over six inches wide to over a foot wide and I well remember seeing between the war housing with some very large (possibly clay coloured concrete) roofing tiles in both Essex and Suffolk. I do think the tile colour needs to be toned down and will look at some weathering with some weathering powders.

Nigel

adrian

Flying Squad
MRJ 301 has a 4 page article by Steve Hall on the York Modelmaking Tiles and lists a table of sizes, including how the different scale sheets equate to sizes in different scales. He also mentions that they can supply them in bespoke sizes.

Apparently the 4mm tiles are "Duchess" tiles 24"x12" (HxW) and the full range is from Singles at 10"x5" up to Empress at 26"x16". He lists "Doubles" at 12"x6" - whether that is the same as "Double Romans" I couldn't tell you.

AJC

Western Thunderer
MRJ 301 has a 4 page article by Steve Hall on the York Modelmaking Tiles and lists a table of sizes, including how the different scale sheets equate to sizes in different scales. He also mentions that they can supply them in bespoke sizes.

Apparently the 4mm tiles are "Duchess" tiles 24"x12" (HxW) and the full range is from Singles at 10"x5" up to Empress at 26"x16". He lists "Doubles" at 12"x6" - whether that is the same as "Double Romans" I couldn't tell you.

No - double Romans are a type of clay tile - they look like this (very characteristic of Somerset buildings from the mid-19th century onwards). The name comes from their resemblance to Roman roofing techniques, which were a bit different. The technique for making them is fairly simple (a press tool with foil), but before I make the tool...

s-l1600.jpg

(Picture borrowed from eBay - NB, the listing gives size and provenance - 16" X 13 7/8": why didn't I think of checking that first? Which is different to the modern ones, as I'd expected, but not by that much).

Adam

simond

Western Thunderer
Found this, not what I was looking for but seems to have the relevant size info. Typically two-thirds of each slate is hidden below the slates above.

hth
Simon

ROOF SLATES​

We have an ever changing stock of quality reclaimed Welsh roofing slates. All slates are sorted by hand and graded according to size, thickness and colour to ensure consistency.

SIZE IN INCHES - LENGTH x WIDTH

EMPRESS26 x 16VISCOUNTESS18 x 9
PRINCESS24 x 14WIDE LADY16 x 10
DUCHESS24 x 12BROAD LADY16 x 9
SMALL DUCHESS22 x 12LADY16 x 8
MARCHIONESS22 x 11WIDE HEADER14 x 12
BROAD COUNTESS20 x 12HEADER14 x 10
COUNTESS20 x 10SMALL LADY14 x 8
SMALL COUNTESS18 x 10NARROW LADY14 x 7

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
This evening I have added some vertical partitions to prevent view through and placed the building on the layout roughly where it is intended to be planted. A few photos attached.

Nigel

IMG_3713.jpegIMG_3715.jpegIMG_3715.jpegIMG_3717.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3716.jpeg
    IMG_3716.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Suffolk Dave

Western Thunderer
I'm a little puzzled over these houses. Is the complete building simply two dwellings? If so, they are quite large, effectively double fronted, with lots of rooms. With them being council properties, I'm wondering if there's two dwellings sharing a front door?

AJC

Western Thunderer
I'm a little puzzled over these houses. Is the complete building simply two dwellings? If so, they are quite large, effectively double fronted, with lots of rooms. With them being council properties, I'm wondering if there's two dwellings sharing a front door?

Yes, two dwellings - it's a not uncommon pattern for interwar rural council houses, especially the earlier ones. I've been working on the area around Kirkby Lonsdale, recently, and the standard pattern of local authority house is a bit later and looks somewhat different, though shares the size and has some similar architectural features. The semi-detached example below is typical - quite posh, for all that it's pebbledashed - note the diminishing courses of (local) slate, a feature of local vernacular building, and still good, sound houses after 70 or more years.

GGTSvALWkAA3tZf?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

More about the breed and its infinite variety on John Boughton's excellent blog:

Adam

Last edited:

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
I have now cut, painted and glued in position a range of internal partitions and floors to prevent the eye being able to see right through the houses. The roof has also benefitted from the application of some weathering to tone it down and I think the structure is now ready for planting on the layout. I might add in some plasticard recessed behind the bottom part of the walls and paint it black, then cut trenches in the scenery to bed it in properly. Some photos attached.

Nigel

IMG_3731.jpegIMG_3730.jpegIMG_3732.jpeg

Overseer

Western Thunderer
I have now cut, painted and glued in position a range of internal partitions and floors to prevent the eye being able to see right through the houses. The roof has also benefitted from the application of some weathering to tone it down and I think the structure is now ready for planting on the layout. I might add in some plasticard recessed behind the bottom part of the walls and paint it black, then cut trenches in the scenery to bed it in properly. Some photos attached.

Nigel

View attachment 212801View attachment 212802View attachment 212800
Very effective. One thing catches my eye though, the building regulations at the time this would have been built required a step of at least 6 inches high above ground level at doorways so the doors need thresholds added or the whole building lifted a little on a plinth, unless you have photos showing differently of course.

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
Very effective. One thing catches my eye though, the building regulations at the time this would have been built required a step of at least 6 inches high above ground level at doorways so the doors need thresholds added or the whole building lifted a little on a plinth, unless you have photos showing differently of course.
Yes, sorry, I probably didn’t make myself very clear but there will be a black plinth type arrangement and a couple of steps from the doors to the ground. I won’t make those until I plant the building as the ground is uneven so they will need to be fitted to the site. I have just figured I will need to make some drainpipe extensions too…

Nigel