Crymlyn A Shop Techniques. GWR 1366 class.

Western Thunderer
I’ve been a tad lax with my posts on this project but, apart from the cab roofs (or is it roves?), the build of 1369 is complete. Lettering, crew and conversion to DCC is a task for its new owner.
The video link shows it pushing an unmotorised 1371 and pulling 24 wagons plus van on the Pantyfynnon test track:

Definitely ‘roofs’. A rove is a journey, particularly an aimless or wandering one. So, presumably, several such journeys would be his/her ‘roves’, though it seems an unnatural word.

daifly

Western Thunderer
A rove is also used in boat-building. They are dish-shaped washers, nowadays usually of copper, and used in riveting planks together on a clinker-built hull.
Dave

davey4270

Western Thunderer
Definitely ‘roofs’. A rove is a journey, particularly an aimless or wandering one. So, presumably, several such journeys would be his/her ‘roves’, though it seems an unnatural word.
A tongue in cheek comment methinks. ;)

davey4270

Western Thunderer
1371 ready to leave Crymlyn A Shop for acceptance trials before being released into traffic. We are just waiting for Dai Larfin, the stores person, to order some lamps. The GREAT WESTERN lettering came from a new sheet of Pressfix transfers after a minor disaster with a Methfix set. I've used these in the past but this time they just didn't stick! Anyway, a crew have been allocated although they are a tad camera shy and the bunker has a partly used load of coal which doesn't cover the hand brake cover which protrudes into the left hand side of the bunker. CPL GWR style screw couplings have been fitted. These have a folding tommy bar and are the correct GWR pattern where only one of the shackles is tightened. These actually work and seem reasonably robust.
1369 is with its new owner who will fit a DCC chip and speakers then add coal, crew, transfers etc.
This just about finishes this project.

IMG_6207.jpg

davey4270

Western Thunderer
With the twin 1366 class builds complete, 1371 has been accepted into traffic and 1369 is with its new owner. Attention at Crymlyn A Shop can now return to ex Llanelly & Mynydd Mawr GWR 704 which was paused to construct the "twins".
A video of 1371 can be seen of it passing through Pantyffynon Junction with a short rake of private owner wagons. These were produced by Dapol for the Swansea Railway Modellers Group's exhibitions. I should add that the sound is not from the pannier but a friend's Castle that's out of shot.

Last edited:
Hello Simond
I can confirm that Guilplates have stopped producing name and number plates as I am a member of GOGG I can enquire for anybody to see if they have left what people are looking for as they had quiet a few existing plates to sell off when they were sown at a club night about 3-4 months ago.

regards

Paul.

daifly

Western Thunderer
1369 with ex CM&DPLRly 29 giving a rare chance to compare similar designs although I doubt if these locomotives ever met:
David
I’m intrigued by the brake van at the tail. Looks a bit like an ex-RR vehicle but the number is for a GWR MOGO. Now if it was 68759…..! Can you enlighten me please?
Dave

davey4270

Western Thunderer
David
I’m intrigued by the brake van at the tail. Looks a bit like an ex-RR vehicle but the number is for a GWR MOGO. Now if it was 68759…..! Can you enlighten me please?
Dave
This is rather confusing. When I built it I found a list of numbers and selected one of those but can't now put my hands on it. 68759 would certainly fit in the number series close to a picture that I have. I won't change the 5 to an 8 yet though as the minute that I do it the other information will surface. Wooden framed brake vans were withdrawn relatively early by the GWR which would have freed up the number series for later builds.Cae Harris.jpg

davey4270

Western Thunderer
I have found the number details for the Rhymney Railway Cae Harris toad. I can only presume that the number series on the Toad picture in my previous reply is of a different design. It certainly has a vacuum pipe but may just be piped and not actually fitted with a vacuum brake. you can also see from the scribblings by the number series that it isn't 68761. I chose 65759 as it lasted the longest in service. I've don another post on the model itself.

img280.jpg