Weathered Locos & Stock

steve50

Western Thunderer
Jawdropping, I'm running out of superlatives for your work! Was it the same methods, no airbrush? The colours are spot on and I love the subtleness of the weathering, the underframe and fuel tanks are just sublime!

Very, very nice!
P.S, I was so taken with the weathering I didn't even notice any missing bits!

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Steve, thank you very much for your very kind comments as always.
I fear I may have created a partial misunderstanding surrounding my airbrush usage.
Essentially, I use a dirty Humbrol-Revell mix through the airbrush on chassis, underframes and roofs to create a key (or primer) for the following oil and water based paint layers - and the weathering powders.
I also tend to complete a job using various varnishes, sometimes tinted with colours, to tie the whole in together at the end.
I do not often use the airbrush on loco bodies, only where I need to create a certain effect that would be difficult any other way; a faint waft of soot deposit on a very clean loco boiler being one.
Hope this is useful.
Neil.

steve50

Western Thunderer
Steve, thank you very much for your very kind comments as always.
I fear I may have created a partial misunderstanding surrounding my airbrush usage.
Essentially, I use a dirty Humbrol-Revell mix through the airbrush on chassis, underframes and roofs to create a key (or primer) for the following oil and water based paint layers - and the weathering powders.
I also tend to complete a job using various varnishes, sometimes tinted with colours, to tie the whole in together at the end.
I do not often use the airbrush on loco bodies, only where I need to create a certain effect that would be difficult any other way; a faint waft of soot deposit on a very clean loco boiler being one.
Hope this is useful.
Neil.
That makes sense, thank you Neil. I'd like to try those Omen Minature paints, is there a basic few colours you'd recommend for use on weathering underframes?

Steve.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Your excellent workaday weathering has really made 'Falcon' look ready for the road and pride of place on any layout. I'm no fan of diesels, nonetheless, I always wished the Class 47's had looked like this. So much more character with side grills.

steve50

Western Thunderer
Hi Steve,
I tend to use;
Oily black
Dirty black
Underframe dirt
Worn Tarmac
Dark brown
Leather
Nigel (of Omen Miniatures) actually sells a weathering set I believe.
Neil.
Thank you Neil.
Do you know if anyone other than Skytrex sell them, I'm hoping to go to Ally Pally at the weekend and wondered if I'll find them there.

Steve.

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Hi Steve,
I’m afraid you can only get them through Omen himself or Skytrex. There are no other outlets for the paint as far as I know.
Neil.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
The latest item off of my weathering workbench is this David Andrews kit built GCR L1.
A very brutish looking machine, but I like the industrial hard working look of the loco.
If I saw that pre-weathering, I'd say it was an ugly bu%%er, but its working coat of grime gives it an air of purposefulness that softens the brutish lines and makes it actually quite appealing.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Brutish....that just about covers it! You give your locos a finish that us oldies recognise as normal everyday attire. I saw the similar A5 4-6-2Ts and their bulk made them look much larger than the Thompson 2-6-4Ts when seen together at Manchester London road.

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Thank you All for your kind comments.
I really enjoyed working on this loco and it’s certainly something ‘a bit different’.

gwrrob

Western Thunderer
My first Lee Marsh Models Castle weathering job to be undertaken - and what a beautiful model!
It’s a great pleasure to work on such a piece as this.
The brief was clean but in good working condition and that is what I’ve attempted to recreate.
View attachment 209445
View attachment 209446View attachment 209447View attachment 209448View attachment 209449View attachment 209450View attachment 209451View attachment 209452View attachment 209453

Magnificent work Sir.