Resistance Soldering Station (RSS) - Build or Buy?

simond

Western Thunderer
You’ve got me wondering.

A good soldered joint relies on getting heat into the joint quickly and locally

I have no idea how many watts my RSU gives, it’s likely a bit variable, as it’ll depend on the total circuit resistance, and how that’s distributed (bad earths will cause resistance which will sap the heat from the tip, as would a steel baseplate) but if it’s set up right, it can go from stone cold to red hot in a very short (ho ho) time indeed. I’m guessing its probably over 200W but I don’t have an ammeter that could cope.

It does score over conventional irons for soldering something relatively small to something big & heavy & heat-sink-ish, simply because there is so much power available.

(and yes, this post could move too…, sorry)

WM183

Western Thunderer
Huh. I now find myself wondering if an RSU is needed at all.

I was hoping it would help in fabricating teeny parts with multiple components near one another; the smokebox door shown in the Henk Oversloot article I linked in my first post is about what I had in mind. So far my Hakko - which is "only" 65W I believe - has done all I've asked, but it gets dicey when I have multiple teeny bits near one another. I've more or less always managed to make do with toothpicks, etc., though.
I haven't had any wagon kits., etc that I couldn't do with my station - it's more a concern for fabrication for me.

michael080

Western Thunderer
and here is another comment that doesn't really match the OP question..

A significant difference between a soldering iron with a metallic tip and an RSU with a carbon tip is the fact that you will the metal will always transfer solder to the part to be fixed. This is needed if you want to get a fillet between two parts and this is where the soldering iron is the weapon of choice.
For laminating two parts together you don't want to transfer solder to the surface of the parts, a carbon tip that cannot be "wetted" with solder helps.
Another point is that you can fix the parts with the tip of an RSU through the process of heating and cooling down. Handy for small parts that woud stick at the soldering iron tip because of the capillary force between iron and part.
But then, I agree with Mick that soldering on a large iron heatsink is a VERY strange idea. :)

I think my RSU/soldering iron useage may be 60/40.

Michael

simond

Western Thunderer
Example eg I like Fords not Vauxalls. personal preferences to whichever device suits you best:)
yes but no but.

It's more like comparing a Defender with a 308GTB. They'll both take you shopping to Sainsburys (other supermarkets are available) but the Landrover will be a lot more useful in some places than the Ferrari. And vice versa.