LSWR G6 0-6-0 tank engine

michael mott

Western Thunderer
I'm surprised that no one has said anything about the madness of me turning down a piece of bronze from 2.414" down to 1.765" and skimming the inside too. Maybe people just thought it :).
Jon when it comes to solving our problems in the model world I am of the opinion that whatever works is the right way for each of us. So I am not surprised that we don’t think you are mad……join the club
Michael

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Well, I paid my money and I took my choice. I chose RAL 6009 Fir Green instead of RAL 6012 Black Green and, to my eyes, it’s too light, heigh bloomin’ ho .

Jon

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Don't despair or order another green yet. :)

Try a sample piece with a matt black primer and then the fir green. This may darken the green as the matt primer will not reflect light back through the top coat.

If you use a gloss black primer this will intensify the colour as it reflects the light back through the top coat - which I assume is not what you want.

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Dave
I’ve already painted the wheels, not an easy thing to do. Cast wheels are much easier to deal with as most of the paint buildup is machined away.
What I intend to do now is to follow your advice and try a few experiments. I have some Halfords Matt black which I can use as a primer. If that doesn’t work, I’ll have buy a tin of proper black primer.

Jon

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
The spokes and middle of the wheels are painted green but the wheel rim is painted black. There was an article in the Model Engineer magazine called, Art and Engineering: Painting and Lining Models. It was written by Ashley Best and he painted his tyres by mounting the wheels in the lathe. I thought that I still had the set of articles but I can only find Vol. 207, No. 4407 1-14 July 2011. I think, but am not entirely sure, that the articles are in magazines Nos. 4404, 4405 and 4406. I've looked on ebay but the contents of the individual magazines are not listed. If anyone knows of these articles or can point me in the direction of the right magazine that contains 'Lining Wheels', I'd very much appreciate it.

Jon

mswjr

Western Thunderer
If it is of any help, When i did this on a 5 inch gauge loco , I cut out some thin plasticard with a circle cutter ( e bay ) , placed this on the wheel, and spay painted the rim in black, when dry i put them in my lathe, and lined them with a small brush whilst resting on the tool post. It was easier than expected.

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
As the axles will be the only exposed steel items on this loco, I was going to paint them. Until, of course, I realised that if I did that, they wouldn’t pass through the bearings. How do other builders treat their axles?

Jon