HO Eine Sekundärbahn

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Oh dear......again....another New Year's resolution has failed
IMG_3904.jpg

The flimsy excuse was that they were on 'special' offer and I have a Plux22 decoder that needs a home, however, what branchline in the '60s would not be home to the Rote Brummer?

Tim

Simon H

Which make are they, Tim? I bought a Roco set in the autumn and am very happy with it. The only snag I've found is that neither Fleischmann nor Roco/Hornby close couplings have enough reach to couple the set together, despite having "standard" NEM sockets fitted. I'll just have to stick with the supplied rigid coupling bar for now...

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Oh dear......again....another New Year's resolution has failed

The flimsy excuse was that they were on 'special' offer and I have a Plux22 decoder that needs a home, however, what branchline in the '60s would not be home to the Rote Brummer?

Tim
I travelled from Karlsruhe to Heilbronn 'cross-country' in a three car set of these units back in 1983. Quite an experience :rolleyes: !

Roger

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
First, an answer, the VT98 is Piko, bought because it is new whilst Roco’s is only secondhand.

Bus stops of DDR, every station must have a bus stop, here are a few random images. The lime green is in Suhl and is available in HO from Auhagen 11419.

1704642016172.png

1704642201905.png

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Things are relentlessly moving forrard.

The track has received a coat of camouflage brown (wish I has tried the khaki), the rails painted and polished, before ballasting I must decide on what coupling system to use before I start ballasting if I have to install uncouplers.
BUT…..

Therein lies potential snags, I have previously used Kadees/Kirbys but the uncouplers are either too obtrusive or utter cack. However, this layout is not for show so I could use 1/87 prototypical (early onset Parkinsons suggests otherwise) or simply use the standard Piko type which is easy to hand uncouple with a ‘L’ wand. The latter system also incurs no additional expense as it is supplied with every HO model, the downside is appearance but Maerklin offers a close-coupling compatible coupling. Oh dear, I seem to have answered my own dilemma ……..

The ballast is not going to be the usual light grey, instead I bought some buff thanks to looking at photos of the prototype in Oberfranken, this is Maroldsweisach
(it is a beet loader, before you ask)

1705340750921.jpeg
This afternoon’s effort.

1705339347280.jpeg

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Not a pleasant past 24hrs. It started about this time last night, feeling very achy and massive torrent of phlegm that has not stopped. At 05:30 I was retching in the bathroom, the usual precursor to a MI but two dispersible asprins stopped the event.

Later this morning, Andy called say he had Covid and he had visited on Tuesday……….the treatment for Covid is much the same as man-‘flu, lots of drinks, not much food, keep warm in bed. Just as long as it doesn’t develop into full blown Covid.

In short, feeling very ill, rough as a dog and everything hurts.

Btw, this really knocks out any thoughts of future foreign travel, there was no warning at all, one minute OK, with five minutes holding onto to the porcelain calling for Hughie. Linda is terrified that this will happen again. Must rethink a lot of future plans…..

Stay safe.

Tim

jonte

Western Thunderer
Not a pleasant past 24hrs. It started about this time last night, feeling very achy and massive torrent of phlegm that has not stopped. At 05:30 I was retching in the bathroom, the usual precursor to a MI but two dispersible asprins stopped the event.

Later this morning, Andy called say he had Covid and he had visited on Tuesday……….the treatment for Covid is much the same as man-‘flu, lots of drinks, not much food, keep warm in bed. Just as long as it doesn’t develop into full blown Covid.

In short, feeling very ill, rough as a dog and everything hurts.

Btw, this really knocks out any thoughts of future foreign travel, there was no warning at all, one minute OK, with five minutes holding onto to the porcelain calling for Hughie. Linda is terrified that this will happen again. Must rethink a lot of future plans…..

Stay safe.

Tim
Sorry to hear, Tim.

It’s disappointing I’m sure, but your health must come first, for your family’s - as well as your own - sake.

Hope it passes soon enough.

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Take it easy, Tim. I know it can all be a bit frightening. Currently I am at a virtual standstill having had an aortic aneurysm added to the list of threats to my aged vascular system plus the existing cardiac faults. Hospital trips - still very much ongoing. Modelling activities - all in the mind! Sad to say but that seems to be how it gets...! Look after yourself.

Roger.

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Tim, before you begin it might be worthwhile to arrange some trains on the layout and check the visual balance. I realise you may have already done this, but sometimes I find moving a roadway or a tree just an inch can make for a layout which looks better with as well as without the trains.

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
The base of the MZ Modellbau loco shed is a well thought-out component but designed for code 100 track, it is a problem with code 75, the solution was to remove thin slices of card either side of the rail so that the wheels do not 'ride' on the base.

20240124_LS.jpg 20240125_LS.jpg

The modification is barely visible and with the shed in place, impossible. The base will be held in place by tiny woodscrews so that it can be removed.

BUT
Pottendorf continues apace, it is the distraction that drives me and determined to complete it as soon as possible without rushing.

Bis bald, Tim

Last edited:

timbowales

Western Thunderer
An example of a road vehicle of the period, the Goliath Goli was a pickup truck or panel van built from 1955 to 1961 by the Goliath division of Borgward in Bremen, Germany.

Jeremy Clarkson has not been invited to test drive it.

View attachment 207454

View attachment 207456

So was Herr Stgg behind the wheel when the prototype photo was taken?
Coat, hat exit stage right
Tim T

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Sunday morn,
just working on the smaller details whilst the trial run of AK Sand and Gravel on the ballast continues.

20240128LS.jpg
Having been there, done that, the rather delicate coaling stage is mounted on a removable base with a solid resin inflamm store used as a handling aid, the scene is never left in place when working on the layout. The tiny scene needs more details, when I can find them and great deal more weathering.

20240128b.jpg

The AK Sand and Gravel Fix has been used on this short test piece, it seems to hold the ballast and it is invisible after application (with a pipette) however if it doesn't last, dilute PVA will be used. The only downside of the AK is cost and availability compared with PVA.

Tim

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Hi,
1706643634929.png

A random image of vintage ‘50s plant machinery, another Polytrac ‘beast’

A postscript to the AK Sand and Gravel, it isn’t that good, it sets slowly and is rather soft/rubbery 48hrs after application.

In an attempt to repair the ballast, a mix of water/PVA has been dripped onto the area where AK Sand and Gravel was applied and tomorrow evening, it will be examined for suitability. If the PVA works, the remaining AK’d ballast will be reapplied with the PVA mix.

It was an expensive, futile lesson.

Tim

Last edited:

michael080

Western Thunderer
here is some alternative "machinery" from the 50s.

Cabbage loading in Echterdingen, close to Stuttgart.

27535.jpg

I don't thinkt that there was a lot of mechanized equipment availble in the 1950s. At least not at smaller stations.

jonte

Western Thunderer
Sorry to hear of the issue with the Sand/gravel, Tim. Fingers crossed the PVA is the solution, if you’d forgive the pu……. :rolleyes:

If you’ve time or able in the circumstances, would you be able to detail how you achieved the realistic finish to the tractor?

Really worthy of closer scrutiny.

A PM will do if you’d prefer, but no probs if you’re feeling under the weather.

Jon

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Hi Jonte,

The two Polytrac vehicles are stock photos from Artitec however the finished product (about Eu50+p/p) is every bit as good as the photo, the cost is scary but consider both the time and skills required to build the kit (Eu20) and the additional Eu30 is a bargain.

Update to the postscript

The repaired section of ballast is solid, no crumbling and rather ironic that I have 4,5ltrs of PVA under the workbench but chose to spend an additional £15+ on an AK product, lesson learnt. The image is another bit of ballast just after repair with a PVA mix, the crumbling edge can be clearly seen in the bottom right corner.

One redeeming feature is that I only ballasted about 1m of track with AK, rather than the entire layout, the remaining AK glue will be used on the static grass.

Tim

IMG_1395a.jpg