Dan's Workbench - D1031 Western Rifleman

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
I found some time to do a little more work on the Western today and on consulting my list of outstanding jobs, decided to have a go at the cab front handrails. I found the ones beneath the windscreens particularly challenging, but I got there in the end. Here are the handrails awaiting installation....
[attachment=5:2tj0qarm]SNV33317.JPG[/attachment:2tj0qarm]

All done....
[attachment=4:2tj0qarm]SNV33318.JPG[/attachment:2tj0qarm]
[attachment=3:2tj0qarm]SNV33319.JPG[/attachment:2tj0qarm]

Having crossed that job off the list ( :thumbs: ), I thought it was time to bite the bullet and start installing the cab side windows. These are stainless steel etches from my own artwork, Araldited (several months ago!), to real glass cover slips and at only 0.18mm thick, you have to handle them carefully! I decided it was best to fit the rear, inboard windows first.

They need to be an interference fit in the window aperture and I managed to break the glass in two of them whilst attempting a minute tweak to the positioning. :headbang: Of the two remaining rear windows, the frame on one of them was found to have not fully stuck to the glass, so needless to say, I was very careful with the one remaining useful one. :)

Anyway, I managed to get it positioned properly in the end and ran a very small bead of canopy glue behind the frame, top and bottom, which will hopefully make it stay put. Here are a few piccies and just for effect, I've rested the front outboard window in the aperture too....
[attachment=2:2tj0qarm]SNV33320.JPG[/attachment:2tj0qarm]
[attachment=1:2tj0qarm]SNV33321.JPG[/attachment:2tj0qarm]
[attachment=0:2tj0qarm]SNV33322.JPG[/attachment:2tj0qarm]
I couldn't be bothered to knock up any Araldite today, so the repairs (and installation of the other frames), will have to wait. :)

That's all for now.

Regards

Dan

Attachments

• SNV33318.JPG
    SNV33318.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 64
  • SNV33319.JPG
    SNV33319.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 64
  • SNV33320.JPG
    SNV33320.JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 65
  • SNV33321.JPG
    SNV33321.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 63
  • SNV33322.JPG
    SNV33322.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 67
  • SNV33317.JPG
    SNV33317.JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 63

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Spectacular, especially the little handle on the window frames...

Will you chemically blacken those handrails to save priming them with nasty thick primer?

JB.

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Scale7JB said:
Spectacular, especially the little handle on the window frames...

Will you chemically blacken those handrails to save priming them with nasty thick primer?

JB.

Thanks JB. :)

Although they're supposed to be bare metal, I will be doing something along those lines, as they're a bit shiny at the moment.

Looking through a few Western books earlier, I noticed that the handrails seem to be the same colour as the windscreen surrounds (aluminium?). My windscreen surrounds are painted with a metallic silver paint, which doesn't look as much like metal as I'd hoped for. The paint is actually quite dull, but given that the rest of the loco is destined to look pretty shagged, it's probably not such a bad thing really. :lol:

The handrails are superglued in now, but with hindsight, I should have made them from tinned brass wire. This would have been much easier to form than nickel silver and the dullness of the solder would have better matched the window frames I reckon. At least Cynric won't have to make the same mistake. :)

Regards

Dan

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
It?s been a while since my last update, though I?m not sure why really!

Anyway, I?d recently fitted the handrails to the cab fronts, but something was niggling me about them.  It finally dawned on me that they looked a bit chunky when compared with prototype photos, especially the low level staple shaped ones.

I read the instructions again ?make front handrails from 0.5mm nickel silver wire?.  I measured mine and they were 0.7mm?.  Drat and double drat!  I had a route around in the box, but there was only 0.7mm in there (which is used for the cab side handrails).  I guess I should have cottoned on when I had to enlarge all the holes in the cab fronts?  :scratch:  I had to fill them all with Milliput and re-drill them?.  :x

I ordered some of the elusive 0.5mm wire from Eileen?s and having got this in my mitts in a very short space of time (great service :thumbs: ), I was able to get stuck in again.

I must have got lucky when I made the first handrails, as I managed to make the two long ones under the windscreens pretty quickly.  I wasn?t so lucky this time and after binning loads of duff ones (and seeing myself having to order more wire if I wasn?t careful), I decided a jig was in order.

It?s nothing special, but I had two good handrails in two attempts, so it's served its purpose.  I found a strip of thick brass in my spares box and having worked out the width of the handrails and the approximate angle of the cab front, I drilled three holes and soldered in some wire pegs?.

Attachments

• SNV33363.JPG
    SNV33363.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 110
  • SNV33364.JPG
    SNV33364.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 109
  • SNV33365.JPG
    SNV33365.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 108
  • SNV33367.JPG
    SNV33367.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 109
  • SNV33368.JPG
    SNV33368.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 109
  • SNV33370.JPG
    SNV33370.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 111

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
I had a good session on ?Rifleman? yesterday, tackling the last main job, before assembly of the cabs and body can commence.

I wanted to replicate where the windscreen wipers had done their work in the grime and decided yet another jig was called for.  I shaped a piece of 12 thou fret waste to be a snug fit in the windscreen apertures and having put a wiper temporarily in place, added some strips from the gummed portion of a Post-it Note at the extent of the wiper blade?s travel?.

Attachments

• SNV33390.JPG
    SNV33390.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 100
  • SNV33407.JPG
    SNV33407.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 101
  • SNV33395.JPG
    SNV33395.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 104
  • SNV33393.JPG
    SNV33393.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 103
  • SNV33392.JPG
    SNV33392.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 102
  • SNV33391.JPG
    SNV33391.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 101
  • SNV33389.JPG
    SNV33389.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 101

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
(Continued)

Having left this to dry for a while, the template was then taped in position on each windscreen in turn before dragging a piece of fine flexible styrene (the same length as the wiper blades), through the aperture in the template to give this?.

Attachments

• SNV33408.JPG
    SNV33408.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 98
  • SNV33410.JPG
    SNV33410.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 102
  • SNV33411.JPG
    SNV33411.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 104
  • SNV33413.JPG
    SNV33413.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 104

28ten

Guv'nor
Looks as though it needs a coat of paint and a good clean to me.....

Your windows fit a lot better than mine, they have caused me more grief than anything else in the kit.

D1054

Western Thunderer
Good stuff, Dan. I really like that effect and will try it out on Monitor. Are you rigging up the fans next before you put the roof on? If so, I'd be really interested to see how you're doing it :thumbs: I made a brass frame on Governor, with a couple of universal joints linked to a central motor. Works ok, but I made a major boob on which side the worm drives the gears and I've ended up with contra-rotating pairs of fans at each end when I'm pretty sure they all should all rotate the same way! :oops: No-body seems to notice (or are too kind to point it out), but I want to get it right on Monitor and it'll be the first thing I tackle... If you are having working fans, can you share how you're doing them m8? :wave: Cheers, Ian.

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Thanks chaps. :)

Ian , despite the fact I have working lights, sound and smoke, I decided some time ago not to bother making the fans work!

I think the main reason is that once I get stuck into building a layout, I'll be aiming to have the boards quite high, to give the viewer a kind of lineside viewpoint. At this kind of level, rotating fans would be a little wasted on my models, though I can see a certain appeal in making them work.

I can't really help you with your fans I'm afraid, but your method of motorising them on your previous Western sounds perfectly good. It sounds like you just need to separate the drive shafts and stick an extra gear in there somewhere, to achieve the correct rotation you're after. Don't forget to post some pictures on here when you've worked it out. :thumbs:

Regards

Dan

Simon

Flying Squad
This is inspirational stuff and the results are terrific. I especially like the explanation of your various jigs, simple but very effective - even I might be able to use some of those ideas.

I really ought to get to grips with weathering my stuff properly too, threads like this are invaluable so thanks very much for sharing your work :thumbs:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Ressaldar said:
great weathering there and an inspiration to would be weatherers.

regards

Mike
Judging by the 47 in your avatar Mike, I think you could teach us all a thing or two about weathering :bowdown:
Phill :wave:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Phil,

I'm still learning and also trying to get the 'black art' tag dropped from association with weathering.

regards

Mike

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Jordan said:
file.php

The next step is to motorise the wipers themselves... :p

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Hmmmm... It wouldn't be that difficult... :scratch:

JB.

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Phill Dyson said:
[quote=""Ressaldar"":1s67d6ts]great weathering there and an inspiration to would be weatherers.

regards

Mike
Judging by the 47 in your avatar Mike, I think you could teach us all a thing or two about weathering :bowdown:
Phill :wave:[/quote:1s67d6ts]

I agree with Phil. :thumbs: Any chance of seeing some bigger pictures of your 47 some time Mike?

Thanks for all your positive comments guys and no Jordan, I won't be motorising the wipers. :lol:
I think Scale7JB is quite taken with the idea though and it's about time he put all that Eastern stuff to one side (good though it is) and built a diesel, preferably a Western Region one. :lol:

Regards

Dan

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Dan,

many thanks for requesting some more pictures of the 47 - I hope that you enjoy them.

Attachments

• DSCF1390.JPG
    DSCF1390.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF1392.JPG
    DSCF1392.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF1395-1.JPG
    DSCF1395-1.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF1398.JPG
    DSCF1398.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 32

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Dan Randall said:
[quote=""Phill Dyson"":3vptw4as][quote=""Ressaldar"":3vptw4as]great weathering there and an inspiration to would be weatherers.

regards

Mike
Phill :wave:[/quote:3vptw4as]

I agree with Phil. :thumbs: Any chance of seeing some bigger pictures of your 47 some time Mike?

Thanks for all your positive comments guys and no Jordan, I won't be motorising the wipers. :lol:
I think Scale7JB is quite taken with the idea though and it's about time he put all that Eastern stuff to one side (good though it is) and built a diesel, preferably a Western Region one. :lol:

Regards

Dan[/quote:3vptw4as]

Don't worry Dan, I'll eventually get around to building my 'GREEN' Diesels... :laugh:

JB.