Dan's S7 Workbench - 7028 Cadbury Castle

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
It's when I look at threads like this that I'm convinced more than ever that my soldering is definitely in the 'comedy' category... :shock: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Hi Dan, those Castle frames look so much better at the correct width...

Good decision to change I reckon !! :D

JB.

28ten

Guv'nor
Scale7JB said:
Hi Dan, those Castle frames look so much better at the correct width...

Good decision to change I reckon !! :D

JB.
You know you want one......its never too late for redemption!

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Oh I do, I do, but there are others that I would like before the Castle...

Still love have a go at the David Andrews 2-8-0 tank (52xx?), and also the 38xx, the 2-8-0 tender engine with the bigger driving wheels...

And then, and then.?. :laugh:

JB.

28ten

Guv'nor
Scale7JB said:
Oh I do, I do, but there are others that I would like before the Castle...

Still love have a go at the David Andrews 2-8-0 tank (52xx?), and also the 38xx, the 2-8-0 tender engine with the bigger driving wheels...

And then, and then.?. :laugh:

JB.
I have just finished a Finney 47xx as a comission to pay for the new airbrush. I also built the Andrews kit twenty odd years ago, either would be a good choice, but the Finney has the edge.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
If I had somewhere to run Gods Wonderful engines, I'd definitely be building them for sure, but with only a GE layout (West Mersea) to run things on at the moment, I shall have to wait a little while until I get onto the engines that I REALLY want to build... :rolleyes:

And on that note, I think perhaps we should stop hijacking Dan's thread... :laugh:

JB.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Dan,

In order to answer your original question about tube layout for Cadbury I felt that a check on boiler type would be in order.  Castles had Standard No. 8 boilers and there were five variants of that boiler, coded HA (used twice), HB, HC and HD.  For an engine built after nationalisation the choice is narrowed to the three row superheater variant (HC) or the four row superheater variant (HD).  Locos of the GWR (RCTS, parts 8, 12, 13 and 14) are relevant for your chosen engine.  Part 8 states that Cadbury was recorded as being fitted with a double chimney in the repair around November 1961 - that means that the engine had an HD boiler from that date...  and as the engine was built with an HC bolier the question arises as to what was the boiler type at the beginning of 1961.  Ploughing through the addenda of Parts 12/3/4 only gives details of periods during which engines were provided with HD boilers and dates from which engines received double chimneys.  If I read the notes correctly, then an HD boiler does not mean a double chimney whereas a double chimney does mean an HD boiler. ::)

After exhausting RCTS I asked a question on the GWR forum and I received clarification of the boiler changes for Cadbury, sent by courtesy of Simon Carr.

from 19/5/50 to 21/12/53 boiler 7625 ( Standard No 8 3-row superheater, coded HC)
to 29/10/59 boiler 6692 (HC)
to 31/10/61 boiler 7635 (HC)
from 31/10/61 to 28/12/63 boiler 7683 (Standard No 8 4-row superheater, coded HD)

Engine No. 7028 was withdrawn at the end of 1963 :(.

I think that I have found an appropriate drawing for the tubes and I shall post that soon.

regards, Graham

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Thanks very much for that Graham (and thanks to Simon Carr too!).

I wasn't aware that all the information on boilers and suchlike was out there in the first place!  I look forward to seeing a tubeplate drawing in due course.  :)

Nice to see my thread on page one again - modelling time is in very short supply at the moment, so I'm fully expecting it to drop down to page four again very soon!

Regards

Dan

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Hi Dan,
  Following on from initial post to the "Drawing Assistance" thread:- whilst the smoke tube arrangement was not normally to be found on the Frame Plan / Cross-Section drawings, the layout of the tubes is, in part, included in the "Smokebox Arrangement" drawings and several of those drawings have survived.  The problem with a smokebox arrangement drawing, compared to either a boiler arrangement drawing or a tubeplate drawing, is the smokebox drawing shows, in 2D, what the eye can see/imagine in 3D...  as you will see below.

So, to get you in the mood, here is a view of the tubeplate of a firebox (without the barrel) for either an HA or an HB boiler.

Attachments

• Castle-two-row-side-view.jpg
    Castle-two-row-side-view.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Castle-two-row-X-section.jpg
    Castle-two-row-X-section.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Castle-four-row-side-view.jpg
    Castle-four-row-side-view.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Castle-four-row-X-section.jpg
    Castle-four-row-X-section.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Std-No-8-boiler-to-firebox.jpg
    Std-No-8-boiler-to-firebox.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 63

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Thank you Cynric for sorting out the order of the images.

I have been asked about the sources for the photograph and drawings.  All of the images have come from different chapters in Part 1 and Part 2 of "Stars, Castles and Kings" by OS Nock, published by David and Charles.

For those with an interest in matters Swindon, and in the design evolution of Swindon's finest I recommend the above book and Holcroft's book on GWR engine practices.  Whilst the OS Nock books has a reasonable set of smokebox arrangement drawings for the Castle class, Holcroft has the words and music about the development of the Swindon superheater and the combination of the two makes for fascinating reading.  For the real nutters amongst us, about thirty years ago I dug up a six-tube header and a couple of horseshoe supports from the coal dump at the back of Didcot shed...  those items are with the GW Trust who made the parts into a decent representation of the corresponding design of superheater element.

regards, Graham

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Hi Graham

I popped round to a friend's house yesterday for an evening of Scale7 model train talk.  :thumbs:

Whilst there, I was trying to extol the virtues of Western Thunder to him and he caught sight of the smokebox drawings in one of your posts.  He recognised them as appearing in a book in his possession and as a result, he's now lent the book to me!  :)

l'll now be able to examine the drawings and hopefully draw up some suitable artwork.  I don't have any questions as such at the moment, but would like to thank you for your input to this topic - it's much appreciated.  :thumbs:

Regards

Dan

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Dan, looking at those drawings, I bet you wished I had kept my smokebox door shut now  :)) :))

Although, If you were to make up some masters then cast off multiples, and etch the tubeplate, you could sell a cracking superdetail kit...!

JB.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Scale7JB said:
Dan, looking at those drawings, I bet you wished I had kept my smokebox door shut now  :)) :))

Although, If you were to make up some masters then cast off multiples, and etch the tubeplate, you could sell a cracking superdetail kit...!

JB.

But only if you were to do the parts for the Std. No.1 boiler as a No. 8 tubeplate is too big for a Star!

regards, Graham

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Dan Randall said:
I popped round to a friend's house yesterday for an evening of Scale7 model train talk.  :thumbs:

Whilst there, I was trying to extol the virtues of Western Thunder to him and he caught sight of the smokebox drawings in one of your posts.  He recognised them as appearing in a book in his possession and as a result, he's now lent the book to me!  :)

I trust that you have been lent Parts 1 and 2 so that you can appreciate the true beauty of the Stars!  Being serious for a moment, it is not just a tubeplate that you will have to make for Cadbury...  'tis the whole shooting match of header, elements, blastpipes, steam pipes not to mention "petticoats"  ;D.

We shall all be watching this modelling tour-de-force, when are you going to start?

regards, Graham

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Scale7JB said:

JB.

Well yes and no....!

I guess if I do go the whole hog with the smokebox innards, running a few castings off would be a very sensible option.  I'll want at least one more Castle and I like to think you'll be building one at some stage too... :))

By the way, when do you expect your tubeplate etches back?

Regards

Dan

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Dog Star said:
I trust that you have been lent Parts 1 and 2 so that you can appreciate the true beauty of the Stars!  Being serious for a moment, it is not just a tubeplate that you will have to make for Cadbury...  'tis the whole shooting match of header, elements, blastpipes, steam pipes not to mention "petticoats"  ;D.

We shall all be watching this modelling tour-de-force, when are you going to start?

regards, Graham

I've just borrowed Part 2 at the moment Graham, as that had the drawings I was interested in.  :)

I do like the Stars, but they don't quite fit in with my timescale, so the chances of me building one are somewhat remote.  Never say never though.  ;)

As for when I'm going to start, I don't know!  With a three week old baby to attend to, modelling time is even scarcer than before (Boxing Day was my last session!), but I'm hoping to find enough TurboCAD time here and there, to make a start on the tubeplate.  That'll be the easy part.  :)

Regards

Dan

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Hello Dan,

as your doing this Castle in S7 I'm a bit surprised that your not using the SDK on it.
On all the Castles that I've built I don't fit the spacer that is above the center driver.
[attachimg=1]

OzzyO.

Attachments

• 200 047.jpg
    200 047.jpg
    588.6 KB · Views: 213

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
The SDK does look a bit tasty Ozzy and it's mainly down to cost reasons that I haven't bought one so far.  I'm not ruling it out altogether though.  :)

Regards

Dan

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Two more to tempt you Dan.
Resistance is futile.  ;)
[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]

OzzyO.  :thumbs:

Attachments

• 200 069.jpg
    200 069.jpg