Bradstock Loco

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Mike,

don’t worry, unless he can invoke the Black Five, we’ve got him outnumbered

View attachment 206451

(insert Bond villain evil “mwah ha ha” laugh)

(and giggle because one of them is his!)

Yes, the shiny and constantly troublesome one. Thankfully you're using appropriately big nasty sticks to teach it to behave.

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The Pannier on the turntable with Hybrid innards is a frightening prospect. :p

It is said that we model what we remember. I would add; but not necessarily what we remember best! My most detailed memories are from my teens and the first diesels in cottonopolis, but I wouldn't dream of modelling either. Far comfier to model from photos that conveniently conjures up idyllic summer days and avoids reality. :)

Quintus

Western Thunderer
I agree Larry, I also remember the coming of the diesels, and as far as I was concerned they were not a welcome sight, although these shunters had been around for a while.
The first "Castle" I ever saw was "Tintern Abbey" in immaculate condition running into Chippenham. A few years later I saw one of the first "Warships" at Bath Spa (can't remember which one). On a wow factor of 1-10 the, Castle gets10, the Warship...maybe 2.

paulc

Western Thunderer
A few pics of D3747 spuddling about at Bradstock, not a pannier in sight!
View attachment 206591View attachment 206592View attachment 206593
Hi Mike , i had to look up the definition of 'spuddling' . Not a word that I've come across before but the the 17th century was a bit before my time but definitely one i will keep alive down here in Aus .
I have always thought of 08s and Panniers as the same loco but from different era's. Ooh that will stir the hornets !!

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Funnily enough, in my 00 world ( sorry Mike ! ), when I take Sheep Dip out to a show, the 'mainline loco' is an 08, supported by a back up 03 with the steam equivalent being a Pannier........

Rob

simond

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike , i had to look up the definition of 'spuddling' . Not a word that I've come across before but the the 17th century was a bit before my time but definitely one i will keep alive down here in Aus .
I have always thought of 08s and Panniers as the same loco but from different era's. Ooh that will stir the hornets !!
If we’re playing top trumps, the 08s were built in larger numbers and had 60% more TE, and has seen many more years of active service, but, if you want a branch line loco, you’d probably want to be able to do more than 15 (or 20) mph…

Phil O

Western Thunderer
If we’re playing top trumps, the 08s were built in larger numbers and had 60% more TE, and has seen many more years of active service, but, if you want a branch line loco, you’d probably want to be able to do more than 15 (or 20) mph…

You need to run a couple of MPH, less than the allowed maximum, because the over speed trip is very sensitive and a right pain to reset. When I was on the ESR we had use of Yeomans 08, after the 1st event a line was pencilled on the speedo showing the max that could be achieved without tripping.