V2 4 wheel parcel van1/32 and G3

David Waite

Western Thunderer
That’s a Lovely job you have done there, it brings back memories,
I have done hot riveting in the big world but never on a model, I remember my first lesson don't place a rivet in the coals and look away I vaporised 3 rivets they were no where to be found not a trace I even sifted through the ashes in forge when it cooled to see if I could find something absolutely nothing I learnt quickly.
David.

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Well the Edmonton Oilers won the 7th and deciding game and now head to the semifinals which is another best of seven games against the Dallas Stars.
Earlier I soldered up the footboard supports holding the parts in my third hand clamp. I am really glad that I took the time to make it because it has proven to be extremely versatile

IMG_2445.jpeg

Yesterday I made a start on the wheel bearings took a while making up my mind which way to go about making them. In the end I chose to machine up the bulk of the bearings out of a solid piece of metal. I also realized that I needed to reduce the diameter of the axle between the wheel and the bearings so that it was smaller than the narrow section of the bearings. So a bit of remedial work on the axles also better match the prototype. Once the bearings are finally shaped the smaller details like the flanges that on the prototype hold the top
and bottom halves together can be soldered on along with the oiling cup at the front and top.

IMG_2446.jpeg
Michael

Attachments

• IMG_2447.jpeg
    IMG_2447.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 1

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Lovely work, as ever. Your work also provides a glimpse of the niceties encountered by the real thing.

Your third hand clamp has a fan in me.

Cheers

Jan

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Michael
Does the steel go rusty with the fumes/heat from the action of soldering? Whenever I use steel or cast iron to hold things when soldering they always end up with a layer of rust on them.

Jon

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Hi Jon I have not had a problem with rust the jaws on the spring grips were stainless, and the small steel parts are blued with heat and oil, the mini clamps on the one I use are duraluminiun. I have had some rust on the mini Lee valley clamps.
Michael

michael mott

Western Thunderer
I had to sort out a couple of things and add some dimensions these are general and there is a lot of scope for variations the principles are what are important. I have saved the drawing as an autocad DXF a JPG and a PDF
2024 third hand..jpg
I hope this helps, I also have lots of photos of various types of additional clamps that slide into the top 3/16 hole. I used National Fine and Coarse threads, but these are arbitrary metric or BA equivalents would obviously work equally well \.

Michael

Attachments

• 2024 third hand.dxf
    378.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 2024 third hand.pdf
    20.2 KB · Views: 9

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
I had to sort out a couple of things and add some dimensions these are general and there is a lot of scope for variations the principles are what are important. I have saved the drawing as an autocad DXF a JPG and a PDF
View attachment 216082
I hope this helps, I also have lots of photos of various types of additional clamps that slide into the top 3/16 hole. I used National Fine and Coarse threads, but these are arbitrary metric or BA equivalents would obviously work equally well \.

Michael
Thank you Michael,
I managed to print off the above version.

Jon