Prototype Tim Mills' Photos

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Apropos the shiny smokeboxes; in preservation, we used to ‘paint’ the smokebox with cylinder oil as part of the prep. It made it shiny. And sticky!

Cheers

Jan

Barry37

Western Thunderer
That last picture is magnificent! Two different types of Carflat - the first a conversion from GW stock as the second might be, though to a different pattern (I don't know a lot about these). Behind them a pair of Tierwags which Tri-Ang made a representation of. Empty to Cowley, perhaps?

Adam
Only six Tierwags were built, which, given their complicated design, is not a surprise. The second wagon appears to be a Ten Ton Carriage truck to D1/089, or D1/095. The latter seems more likely, as these had shorter wheelbase bogies, which the wagon in the photo appears to have.

Reactions: AJC

simond

Western Thunderer
I’m worried by (and ignorant of) Tierwags. “Tier” is German for “animal”. “Wags” is current slang for…

hrmspaul

Western Thunderer
Only six Tierwags were built, which, given their complicated design, is not a surprise. The second wagon appears to be a Ten Ton Carriage truck to D1/089, or D1/095. The latter seems more likely, as these had shorter wheelbase bogies, which the wagon in the photo appears to have.
No sorry, totally co-incidentally our little wagon group has been discussing Tierwags today. The MAT had 25 built from 1957 - 9 followed up by the 6 BR ones. The BR one photographed in BR Wagons doesn't have the plate on the side, whereas the MAT ones do have a plate. Initially at least all were allocated to Morris Cowley traffic from Oxford. The MAT ones were used to the Continent; the Fiat works in Turin a known destination. All were built by Newton Chambers - who also built the better known BR Motorail vans with the lifting central section. Possibly short-lived, the BR ones had gone by 1971 and it is possible so were the MATs.

Paul

Last edited:

hrmspaul

Western Thunderer
Paul and Overseer - thanks so much for filling in details about the tank wagons. An interesting subject indeed. I assume Trichloroethylene was towed around the country in such large volumes for the dry cleaning industry and it'd be unlikely that there'd be a need for it at an MPD - or was it perhaps used in one of the cleaning functions on shed? As for the possibility of the older wagons carrying phosphoric acid that would initially seem a possibility but their locations suggest they are in the shed yard rather than separated off for the bottling plant. We'll probably never know.
Trev Mann and David Ratcliffe have both informed me that ICI had at one time had a break-bulk/distribution depot at Kentish Town which received solvents and chloro sulphur compounds from their works at Runcorn and Acton Grange. It is presumed this closed when the new ICI depot at Willesden opened.

Paul

Barry37

Western Thunderer
No sorry, totally co-incidentally our little wagon group has been discussing Tierwags today. The MAT had 25 built from 1957 - 9 followed up by the 6 BR ones. The BR one photographed in BR Wagons doesn't have the plate on the side, whereas the MAT ones do have a plate. Initially at least all were allocated to Morris Cowley traffic from Oxford. The MAT ones were used to the Continent; the Fiat works in Turin a known destination. All were built by Newton Chambers - who also built the better known BR Motorail vans with the lifting central section. Possibly short-lived, the BR ones had gone by 1971 and it is possible so were the MATs.

Paul
Forgot that they were in BR Wagons "Vol. 1"- only looked in the Don Rowland "British Railways Wagons" book, which only hints at the existence of the MAT ones.

Regarding model Tierwags, there may have also been something similar in the Playcraft range, around the time Playcraft was sold in Woolworths (1960ish).

LarryG

Western Thunderer
One LMS Caprotti is worth a dozen A4's.......I'd better insert a 'haha' at this point. Very common on the north Wales-Manchester's being shedded at both ends of the route.

readingtype

I’m worried by (and ignorant of) Tierwags. “Tier” is German for “animal”.
Then perhaps this is Tier in the English sense of "Doppelstock"?

From photos I've seen, the wagons in question seem remarkably overcooked in comparison to those introduced a bit later that have perforated sheet metal sides and decks that slope down towards the middle (resembling road based car transporter trailers...). Lots of those went to Cowley.

Ben

Crimson Rambler

Western Thunderer
I was brought up at Elstree and well remember the last, fast declining days of steam on the Midland's London Extension. Tim Mill's evocative views of Kentish Town bring it all back as well as serving, with his other photos, as an invaluable archive for future modellers and historians alike shewing how it was at the end.

However, I do hope you will forgive me if I admit to a liking for an earlier Kentish Town when it looked completely different in all senses:-

KT - I.jpg

On the extreme left either a Princess of Wales 4-2-2 (probably) or a Belpaire 4-4-0 (possibly), then a 1853 class 4-2-2, a Class M 0-6-0 and a 2183 class 4-4-0 - then continuing:-

KT - II.jpg

Resuming from the 2183 class 4-4-0, next is a 2781 class Belpaire under the shearlegs followed by a Princess of Wales 4-2-2 and finally finishing with either a 1853 class 4-2-2 or a 4-4-0.

Crimson Rambler