Quintus

Western Thunderer
Another Saturday visit to the station and we find one of the streamlined railcars on a railtour working.
Apparently the tour began at Bristol and travelled along the North Somerset line to Frome before continuing down the Wilts Somerset and Weymouth line to Dorchester, where it reversed and travelled to Melcombe Magna. It is now about to travel up the S&D and down the branch to Highbridge, from where it will take in a few more detours before returning to Bristol.
The occupants of the tour seem to have temporarily deserted the station, no doubt in order to take refreshment at the nearby Cat and Fiddle.
Sounds like a jolly good day out.DSC_5310 (1280x719)~2.jpg

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Mike I used to love watching the "tanner oners" passing by the Noel road bridge in Acton on the suburban routes out of Paddington when I was a kid.
Michael

David Hall

Western Thunderer
This little Ruston is from a Locos n stuff 3D print with etched chassis kit. It runs very nicely and is seen here bowling along light engine.View attachment 186669

I've just discovered this @Quintus. The colours and overall picture of the whole layout are absolutely amazing. Some of the best modelling I have ever seen!

What a wonderful shot of the Ruston. I'm loving the atmosphere in of the industrial narrow gauge. It's stunning.

Have you got any more photos of the Ruston? Would you recommend the Locos n Stuff print and chassis?

Cheers,
David

Quintus

Western Thunderer
David, thank you for your kind comments.
If you are into O-16.5 I can recommend the kits from Locos-n-stuff, the Peckett seen in #75 is also from the same stable, albeit that kit was etched brass.
The 3D printed body is fine, and the chassis runs extremely smoothly, although initially I had problems with the drive belt slipping. This was cured by fitting a slightly smaller drive belt, available from Nigel Lawton 009.
I had to source the mesh for the radiator grille (ebay) and I have added brake shoes on the rear wheels (intended for 4mm scale wagons)
I don’t have a photo of the Ruston chassis, but here is a scratch built version which is very similar to give you an idea of the drive arrangements.
I had a similar problem with the belt slipping on this one, but this was cured by fitting a larger diameter pulley on the motor shaft.
20231130_161349~2.jpg20230312_194911~3.jpg

David Hall

Western Thunderer
Hi @Quintus.

Thank you so much for you reply. That's really useful. I've recently gone back to narrow gauge due to lack of space and I'm looking for a first loco in 7mm scale. I've checked out Mark Clark's website and he seems to do an amazing array of stuff! I am very tempted by a Ruston like yours. Thanks for the positive endorsement.

Please keep the photos coming. The layout is absolutely wonderful.

Many thanks again for your kind and informative reply.

David

Quintus

Western Thunderer
Rumours of an engineers train on a Sunday encouraged our intrepid photographer to visit the station hoping perhaps finding something unusual to photograph. Well, unusual as it was at Melcombe Magna, a diesel shunter wasn't really what he was expecting, as steam still reigned supreme on the branch.
Debating as to whether to waste valuable film on this rather mundane object, this one shot was enough to record the visit.DSC_2883 (1280x720).jpg

David Hall

Western Thunderer
Hi David,
Another useful source for 7mm N/G is T&S Models, they do a small but useful range in this scale and are very reasonably priced.
Here is a short rake of them hauled by a Fletcher Jennings from EDM Models.
View attachment 206685
Regards
Mike

Apologies for a (very) belated reply Mike... What a wonderful photo. I'm going to check out T&S Models. I've never come across them before but those little wagons are exactly the kind of thing I'm after.

Thank you once again for being so forthcoming and generous with your advice and time.

Keep the updates coming. This is so inspirational.