7mm Layouts and Dioramas by Stephen Fay, including Kirton Lindsey & St Stephens Bank

AJC

Western Thunderer

Should there be some sort of tie bar to set the gauge on those concrete pot sleepers? I’m only really familiar with the GWR version, but it’s a feature of all the other variants I’ve seen details of.

Adam

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
Yes there will be, they can be added now the ballast has been added.
Should there be some sort of tie bar to set the gauge on those concrete pot sleepers? I’m only really familiar with the GWR version, but it’s a feature of all the other variants I’ve seen details of.

Adam

Reactions: AJC

michael080

Western Thunderer
If I may add some points about the grass application: The fibers seem to be made of Polyamide. This material can absorb a bit of humidity. Out of the bag, it is very dry and willing to absorb a bit of water. If you put the amount of grass you intend to use into a polybag with a TINY drop of water, the plastic material will absorb the water which helps tremendously to apply the grass with an electrostatic applicator. The conductivity of the material increases which helps to improve orientation of the indiviual fibers.
Another problem with the material is that it tends to build up dust bunnys (correct term?). They can be removed if the material is put into an old style coffee grinder that may still sit in many storage lockers. The model with this propeller like blade works very well. The grinder can also be used to mix different colours to a realistic melange.

Sorry to interrupt your thread.

Michael

Purple-haze

Western Thunderer
Steve, having looked at these photos, I'm quite pleased I missed seeing it last week. I believe that by studying the smaller image I'm getting far more details coming out at me. Never quite appreciated it like this!

regards Rog

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
I use a vacuum cleaner to help lift the grass upright, just hover the nozzle of the vacuum cleaner a couple of inches above the freshly
laid surface . Oh and I put one of the wife’s stockings :rolleyes: over the nozzle to collect any loose fibres for future use.

View attachment 208656
I

Martyn.
I do that as well using an old sock to capture all the loose fibres, last year I upgraded to a WWS pro applicator and that is much better at making the fibres stand up. I use the cheap Chinese applicator for covering large areas of base grass.

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
Steve, having looked at these photos, I'm quite pleased I missed seeing it last week. I believe that by studying the smaller image I'm getting far more details coming out at me. Never quite appreciated it like this!

regards Rog
I will have it with me next week for an in person closer look