7mm A Bristol L in 7mm

James

Western Thunderer
PSX_20240510_141113.jpg

This shows there's a bit of variation in the quality of the parts. I think the steering wheel is salvageable but a lot of the small resin components will have to be replaced.

James

Western Thunderer
IMG_20240513_172430358.jpg

A bit of work on the bus this afternoon.

44mm x 18mm planed timber was used to fashion a slightly crude former to help with straightening the body.

IMG_20240513_172523535.jpg

The sides should be up against the former, it shows how distorted the body casting is.

IMG_20240513_173142772.jpg

I dip in boiling water made reshaping easier and the result is better than before but not perfect, far from it. The roof has been straightened but there's still a lot of fettling required.

It's not the worse kit I've seen - that honour goes to a Wheelbase Models London Transport trolleybus which was like a carved bar of soap. Think I still have it somewhere... The Bristol L is the second worse bus kit I've experienced. If I wasn't building it for a particular purpose I would probably cut my loses.

Attachments

• IMG_20240513_172430358.jpg
    IMG_20240513_172430358.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 3

James

Western Thunderer
IMG_20240514_150903448_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg

A bit of a fitting exercise over the last couple of days, the roof now fits nicely against the rear panel.

Elsewhere...

PSX_20240514_221815.jpg

The roof has needed a strip of 40 thou Plastikard and a substantial quantity of Milliput to allow the to join all round. I'm not sure if the roof is out or it's the body that's lopsided.

The cab door being offered up to the cab.

PSX_20240514_221554.jpg

Hopefully I'm slowly getting there. But I have, as of today, exactly a month to have it ready!

djparkins

Western Thunderer
View attachment 215382

A bit of a fitting exercise over the last couple of days, the roof now fits nicely against the rear panel.

Elsewhere...

View attachment 215383

The roof has needed a strip of 40 thou Plastikard and a substantial quantity of Milliput to allow the to join all round. I'm not sure if the roof is out or it's the body that's lopsided.

The cab door being offered up to the cab.

View attachment 215384

Hopefully I'm slowly getting there. But I have, as of today, exactly a month to have it ready!

I'm sure you'll do it James.

But watching your build, I'm sure glad I sent mine back!

DJP

Plan B New

James

Western Thunderer
I have officially abandoned the Scalelink kit.
When I was marking out for a new cab in Plastikard to replace the warped original (warped in so many directions correcting it was nigh on impossible) I figured scratch building might be the better option. The Scalelink wheels, seats and etched window vents can be repurposed.

I had borrowed a book from dad has decent drawings, the suitable one was scanned and printed out to 7mm.

By finding an alternative approach hopefully means I won't have to resign my membership of the Model Bus Federation!